Welcome to Jim von Steen's Class
Welcome to Jim von Steen's web site. In this web site you will see my schedule, materials needed & grading policy.
If you need to get in contact with me, you can call the school at 819-2970 and leave a message. I'll work to get return your call within 24 hrs. I also can be reached through the school's email system at firstname.lastname@example.org
I graduated from the University of Arkansas in 1985 with a B.S. in Industrial Engineering. I moved to Dallas, Texas to work as a Quality Assurance Engineer in the military defense industry. In 1989, I went back to school at the University of Texas at Dallas and earned my certification in teaching Physics & Math. I taught my first year as IB Physics teacher in Dallas before I moved to Greensboro, NC. I have been a teacher in Guilford County since 1990. I have been an AP Physics teacher since 2000, became National Board Certified in 2007 and have been a AP Physics Reader/Table Leader since 2011. I have a wonderful wife, Patty, and two great kids, Morgan & Connor.
1st AP Physics
2nd Honors Physics
4th Honors Chemistry
1st AP Physics
2nd Honors Chemistry
1.5 " Binder
Home computer with working printer
6" transparent rule (optional)
color pencils (optional)
- Homework, 10 pts
- Labs, 20 pts (due 3 schools days after lab)
- Quizzes, 20 pts
- Tests, 100 pts (curved to the course average is 75)
- Physics Quizzes software (due Honors Physics on Final Exam, AP due on AP Exam date)
- Projects, 100 pts (due TBD)
Late/Makeup work Policy
- Test & Quizzes need to be made up before the end of the 9wks (Tuesdays after school are best for me, student needs to communicate their plans with me to prevent conflicts)
- Homework needs be turned in equivalent to the number of days absent (example, Student was absent 4 days. Student turned in homework on 4th day after return, no penalty. Student turned in homework on 5th day, penalty 60% of value earned)
- Projects are considered late the next day after due date, penalty 60% of value earned.
There are no upcoming events to display.