Welcome to Jim von Steen's Class
All classes, as mention during week 3/9-3/13, ck12.org assignments will be use during this Corona Virus absents. Check your emails from ck12.org to see if any new assignments from me. Watch for the due dates for each assignment too. Reminder to everyone MAKE SURE YOU CLICK THE "TURN IN" BUTTON AFTER COMPLETING THE QUIZ, OTHERWISE I WILL NOT SEE YOUR RESULTS. Also
AP Physics watch for any MyAP assignments as well ck12.org (remember to do minimum of 20 correct answers before completion).
Regular Chemistry ck12.org class code is k0e5v (for the 4 people not linked in yet). Apologies, to the students that came by Monday. Come by and pickup your STEMscopes book (at the front of the school). Check Canvas regularly for assignments in the Announcements tab.
Honors Chemistry same process with the ck12.org as we have been doing all semester. Also come by the front of the school to pickup a STEMscope book. Sign your name on the roster to signify to me that you have it. Check Canvas regularly for assignments in the Announcements tab.
Welcome to Jim von Steen's web site. In this web site you will see my schedule, materials needed & grading policy.
If you need to get in contact with me, you can call the school at 819-2970 and leave a message. I'll work to get return your call within 24 hrs. I also can be reached through the school's email system at firstname.lastname@example.org
I graduated from the University of Arkansas in 1985 with a B.S. in Industrial Engineering. I moved to Dallas, Texas to work as a Quality Assurance Engineer in the military defense industry. In 1989, I went back to school at the University of Texas at Dallas and earned my certification in teaching Physics & Math. I taught my first year as IB Physics teacher in Dallas before I moved to Greensboro, NC. I have been a teacher in Guilford County since 1990. I have been an AP Physics teacher since 2000, became National Board Certified in 2007 and have been a AP Physics Reader/Table Leader since 2011. I have a wonderful wife, Patty, and two great kids, Morgan & Connor.
1st AP Physics
2nd Honors Physics
4th Honors Chemistry
1st AP Physics
2nd Honors Chemistry
1.5 " Binder
Home computer with working printer
6" transparent rule (optional)
color pencils (optional)
- Homework, 10 pts
- Labs, 20 pts (due 3 schools days after lab)
- Quizzes, 20 pts
- Tests, 100 pts (curved to the course average is 75)
- Physics Quizzes software (due Honors Physics on Final Exam, AP due on AP Exam date)
- Projects, 100 pts (due TBD)
Late/Makeup work Policy
- Test & Quizzes need to be made up before the end of the 9wks (Tuesdays after school are best for me, student needs to communicate their plans with me to prevent conflicts)
- Homework needs be turned in equivalent to the number of days absent (example, Student was absent 4 days. Student turned in homework on 4th day after return, no penalty. Student turned in homework on 5th day, penalty 60% of value earned)
- Projects are considered late the next day after due date, penalty 60% of value earned.
There are no upcoming events to display.