Welcome to the Academically Gifted Department
New to Advanced Placement (AP)? Attend an AP Boot Camp this summer for a headstart on the skills needed for these advanced courses. Click here to learn more!
As we adjust to this new distance learning environment, the AG department recommends a collection of resources and activities that are appropriate for advanced learners looking for additional challenge and intellectual stimulation. These resources have been curated with the gifted student in mind and can be used for daily enrichment and as ideas for summer engagement.
The GCS Academically Gifted Department is committed to providing rigorous, challenging, and differentiated instruction to students who demonstrate a need for services beyond the regular education setting.
We provide support for more than 14,000 advanced students in grades K-12, including:
- Grades K-2 Consultative Services
- Nurture in grades 2 and 3
- Grades 3-5 AIG pull-out enrichment services
- Grades 3-5 Maximizing Academic Potential (MAP) talent development services
- Grades 6-8 advanced/accelerated course options in Math and English/Language Arts
- Grades 9-12 rigorous advanced coursework, including AP, IB, and dual enrollment opportunities
- Consultative support for classroom teachers K-12 in differentiated instruction and understanding the unique needs of the gifted learner
Exciting opportunities available to AG students:
- Academic All-Star Summer Camp for rising 9th graders
- 30 different Advanced Placement (AP) courses offered districtwide
- Challenging International Baccalaureate (IB) programs at four GCS high schools
- 2 Early College options for high school (Early College at Guilford and STEM Early College at NC A&T)