Public Records Requests
Guilford County Schools strives to be open and transparent about district information, projects, initiatives, data and challenges. The District Relations department tracks and responds to public records requests that involve any district department.
The public records of Guilford County Schools are governed by North Carolina General Statute §132-6.2 and Guilford County Board of Education Policy KB – Public Records - Retention, Release, and Disposition.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please email email@example.com or call 336-279-4922.
What is a Public Record?
Public records are documents or materials made or received by government agencies in North Carolina while conducting government business; records may include electronic, paper, or other material, regardless of physical form or characteristic.
Please be aware that Guilford County Board of Education policy, nor North Carolina law require a government agency to create or compile records or databases that do not already exist. The purpose of a public records request is to allow examination of existing documents created while doing the business of the government.
What is Exempt from Disclosure Under The Public Records Act?
The Public Records laws exempt from disclosure to the public various documents, including, but not limited to:
- Information that is otherwise privileged based on some exception to the Public Records Act, such as student records (G.S. §115C-402) or personnel records (G.S.§ 115C-319 et seq.)
- Student data (for example, references to a child’s health conditions, grades, IEP or discipline issues) made confidential by state or federal laws
- Confidential employee information (any information in the Personnel File not available for inspection, for example, resume or credentials, home address, investigative documentation, or date-of-birth)
- Medical records of employees or students
- Attorney-client communications and the documents protected by the Work Product Doctrine
- Emergency response plans/public security plans
- Documents that contain trade secrets
Information Available Through Processes other than Public Records Requests
Publicly Available Information
Listed below are links to readily available information that does not require a public records request.