Weaver Academy is preparing to select a new group of National Honor Society Members. Please read this information BEFORE attempting to apply.
We are a chapter of the National Honor Society and are bound by its constitution and by-laws. The selection criteria and process is outlined below.
The National Honor Society is an organization which recognizes outstanding achievement in the following 4 areas:
- Scholarship (the minimum is a weighted GPA of 4.1)
Membership is an honor, not a privilege, and is based on a student’s overall achievement in these 4 areas. The GPA alone does not guarantee membership.
A student MUST have been enrolled at Weaver Academy, as a PVA student, for at least one semester before he/she is eligible for membership in NHS. A student must be a member of the junior or senior class.
Due to remote learning, all applications will be completed online. A completed application includes:
A completed application packet will include:
- Application (completed online due by Tuesday November 10th @11:59pm)
- Teacher recommendation from each Spring 2020 teacher. Teachers will submit these online. Ms. Sumpter will send the link. It is important that you contact each teacher to submit your recommendation. Please provide them with your Student ID and full name (no nicknames) to enter into the form. In the event a teacher is no longer at Weaver Academy, the requirement will be adjusted.
The students will be reviewed in the following three areas.
- Character (5 point maximum)
- Leadership (5 point maximum)
- Service (5 point maximum)
These three components are very important and the Faculty Council (group of 5 faculty members) will consider each completed application fully and equitably to determine who becomes a member of the National Honor Society.
In addition to the GPA, the student must have a majority vote by the Faculty Council for consideration for membership.
Teacher recommendation forms are confidential, and the teachers will submit those by November 12th. It is the responsibility of the applicant to secure recommendations in a timely manner.
Eligible students are encouraged to apply. However, if the initial eligibility is not met, the application will not be considered for membership. Please review your GPA, make sure you are a junior or senior, and that you attended Weaver Academy as a PVA student during Spring 2020.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact Ms. Sumpter via email: email@example.com