SEMS Dress Code -Parents and Students please review
SEMS STUDENT DRESS CODE
It is our desire to create an environment for learning that is free from distractions. Therefore, the following dress code policy will be followed by all SEMS students and enforced by all SEMS staff. Any item that may not be listed below that is determined to be disruptive to the educational process will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
PANTS, SKIRTS, SHORTS
- The hems of skirts, skorts, and shorts must not be higher than 4 inches above the top of the knee.
- If wearing leggings/yoga pants, the 4-inch rule does not apply; however, leggings should not be “see through”.
- Pants are to be an appropriate size, should fit snugly at the waist, and must be able to be pulled up to the waist (including “skinny jeans” for males and females). Pants that cannot be pulled up to the waist should not be worn. Waistlines of pants should not be rolled down to expose undergarments, the midriff area, or skin. No sagging pants may be worn.
- Pants should not be tucked into socks.
- Holes in pants are allowed as long as skin is not visible that is 4 inches above the top of the knee.
SHIRTS, BLOUSES, TOPS
- Shirts, blouses, and dresses may not be tank top style or have spaghetti straps, one strap, or no straps, and must completely cover the shoulders and back. Sleeveless tops/dresses are fine. Shirts should not be low-cut, exposing cleavage.
- Shirts and blouses must cover the waist with no exposed midriff/back when standing up straight.
- If sports/athletic jerseys with holes are worn, short sleeve or long sleeve tee shirts should be worn underneath.
- No clothing with vulgar or obscene symbols, language or wording is permitted anything historically offensive (including Confederate flags, etc).
- No clothing with advertisements or pictures depicting/suggesting alcohol, tobacco, drugs, sex, violence, guns, or other weapons is permitted.
- Clothing or jewelry that is determined to be gang related may not be worn nor jewelry with inappropriate language.
- Proper footwear is required. Bedroom shoes may not be worn. High heels are not recommended.
- Lightweight jackets, like those made of fleece or sweat material, will be permitted for warmth (including pullover and zip up jackets). All other heavy jackets and coats should be placed in lockers during the school day.
- Book bags and other types of bags must be placed in lockers at the beginning of the day and should remain there until dismissal. Purses are allowed.
- Students should not use spray fragrances, deodorants, or fragranced lotions in school as some students/teachers are sensitive/allergic to them. Solid stick deodorants are preferred.
- Ear buds and headsets are allowed to be worn while under teacher supervision.
THE FOLLOWING WILL NOT BE ALLOWED:
- Face paint of any kind, even on intramural days
- Visible underwear
- Pants with words written across the bottom or seat
- Hats, bandanas, hoods, or sunglasses
- Pajamas, blankets, or towels
Students may be asked to change into appropriate garments, or parents may be called to bring appropriate clothing, and/or disciplinary action could be taken if students are not in compliance with the dress code.