2019-2020 Application Process
The Middle College At Bennett Application Process
We would like to thank you for your interest in The Middle College at Bennett. Please save the date: March 13, 2019. This is our GCS Magnet Fair. It will be held at the Greensboro Coliseum Special Events Center from 5:30pm-8:30pm. Please visit our table to talk with our team and our students and learn more about our school.
Any student whose parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian resides in Guilford County is eligible to apply for admission into our school. Applications from students whose domicile is outside Guilford County will not be considered.
Applying for Admission
*****Please stay tuned for more information about High School Options Procedures for 2019-2020
Notification of Acceptance to a Magnet Program
Acceptance into our program is based on a random selection process. The parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian will be notified of admission status within six weeks of the close of the application period. The parent/court-appointed guardian must go to the school to register the student within the time frame stated in the acceptance letter or the magnet assignment will be forfeited.
Criteria for Selection
Applications are selected through a random selection process using the criteria below:
- Receipt of application before deadline
- Transportation patterns for duplicate programs
- Sibling who will continue enrollment at first choice magnet program
- School Capacity
- Classroom capacity
- Present magnet status of applicant
- Theme continuation from elementary to middle school
- Parents who are full-time employees at the magnet school requested
Magnet School Application Facts
- There is no appeal for non-admission to a magnet program.
- Students will receive no more than one offer to a magnet program.
- Vacancies that occur between initial notifications and winter break will be filled from the original applicant pool.
- If the child is accepted and enrolled at the magnet school, the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian is agreeing to accept assignment to the magnet school requested. They are also making a commitment to keep the student in the program for one full school year.
- Applicants with a sibling already in the same program will be given priority in the random selection process.
- In cases where there are duplicate magnet programs, the residence of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian will determine the school to which the student is eligible to apply.
Continuation to Remain in a Magnet Program
Students admitted into a magnet program may remain in the program at the same school through that particular grade configuration, i.e. K-5, without submitting another application. However, a Continuation Intent Form must be completed by the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian annually to indicate the student's desire to remain in the program. Students wishing to return to their attendance zone school should so indicate on the Continuation Intent Form.
In order for the Continuation Intent Form to be valid, it must be returned to the magnet school the student attends by the required date. The information submitted on the Continuation Intent Form will dictate the official school placement for the following year.