Guilford Parent Academy
Guilford Parent Academy
- Calendar of Events
- GPA Virtual Family Engagement Sessions
- Dual Generation Workforce Initiative IT Certification Course
- Scholarship Opportunities for Guilford County Students
- Family Learning & Engagement Resources
- FREE Online Resources
- Friends of GPA
- GCS Family Tech Toolkit
- Get in Focus! Family Engagement Tips for Parents and Educators
- GPA On the Go: Request a GPA Workshop
- Guilford Parent Academy FAQ
- Healthy Home Resources for Families
- PowerSchool Parent Portal
- Teach a Workshop
- Title I Family Engagement Cohort
- Who to Contact
GPA Launches SEL “Your Emotions Matter” Series
Oct. 4, 2021 – Research shows that social emotional learning (or SEL) plays a critical role in student success. In short, SEL is the process through which adults and students develop the social and emotional skills necessary to thrive in college, career, and life. And not only can it improve academic achievement, but it also shows students how to be kinder and more empathetic, reduces stress and improves student attitudes toward school.
To help families be more mindful of SEL, Guilford Parent Academy (GPA) is launching a virtual series called “Your Emotions Matter.” With October being Bullying Prevention Month, the series will kick off on Oct. 20 with a session on Anti-Bullying and Internet/Cyberspace Safety.
“As a parent and your child’s first teacher, these sessions provide strategies to help develop SEL skills that can be used at home,” said Dr. Kimberly Funderburk, director of GPA. “Emotions matter. This series can help you be more mindful of the social and emotional wellbeing of yourself and others.”
The “Your Emotions Matter” series includes:
- Anti-Bullying and Internet/Cyberspace Safety (Unity Day), Oct. 20, 6-7 p.m.
Join the fight to stop bullying in today’s digital age and help our schools create a culture of caring.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) 101 for Parents, Oct. 25, 12-1 p.m.
Don’t miss this interactive session that will help families enhance social and emotional development.
- Self-Awareness/Relationships: Being an Emotional Coach, Nov. 1, 6-7 p.m.
This session explores how emotions drive actions. Learn techniques to become the emotional coach at home.
- Self-Management: Raising Emotional Resilient Kids, Nov. 4, 12-1 p.m.
Learn strategies to help families manage emotions and stress in effective ways.
- Social Awareness: Effectively Working with Others – Part 1, Nov. 8, 6-7 p.m.
Create a socially healthy home community and help your child be an effective member of a community.
- Relationships: Effectively Working with Others – Part 2, Nov. 15, 12-1 p.m.
Want to work better with others? This session provides strategies on cultivating healthy relationships with your child through SEL skill-building.