Return to Headlines

GCS Schools Closed for Remainder of Year, Learning Continues

GCS schools will remain closed for the rest of the year, but remote learning will continue from now through the end of the school year.

GCS made the announcement today in accordance with Governor Roy Cooper’s executive order this afternoon. Previously, North Carolina schools had been closed through May 15.

“While we are disappointed we won’t be able to physically be with our students in the classroom for the remainder of this school year, we understand that keeping our students and staff healthy is a priority,” said Superintendent Sharon L. Contreras. “As teachers and leaders, we will continue working daily to provide the best education possible on a remote learning basis for every student through the end of the school year,” said Contreras.

District officials also said they will update their grading guidance based on the new policy adopted by the state school board yesterday.

Remote learning will continue through the end of the school year, which is Friday, June 5 for schools that follow the Traditional Academic Calendar. To access GCS school calendars, click here.

Research indicates that the disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic might cause certain students to lose one to two years or more of learning.

“The learning loss of the 2019-2020 school year will be the single greatest challenge educators across the country will face in the coming months and years,” said Contreras. “We must dedicate resources now to address the impact this loss is having on our students, particularly the most vulnerable. In fact, we have already started planning for this.”

Earlier this week, Contreras presented budget recommendations for 2020-2021 to the school board that included new strategies to prevent learning loss, increase student access to technology and connectivity, add new diagnostic tools to help teachers tailor instruction more effectively, and provide more academic support for struggling students.

Support and resources for recovering lost learning time will be funded, in part, by the anticipated federal K-12 Emergency Relief Fund. The district is expected to get approximately $21 million in K-12 Emergency Relief Funds, which are included in the superintendent’s budget recommendations.