Back to Virtual School Information 22-23 for Students and Parents
Dear eLearners, Parents, and Guardians,
I want to officially welcome and thank you for choosing Guilford eLearning University Prep where we intentionally transform online education and life outcomes for all eLearners (students).
We are committed to providing your child in grades K-8 with a learning experience, that is:
Our mission is to prepare your child to compete and succeed globally—all within a flexible learning environment of your choosing.
Preparing for the Year
As you prepare for the 2022-2023 school year, we want you to have some important information about what to expect. In the next week, you will receive more details about:
- your eLearner virtual orientation dates and times
- virtual eLearning expectations
- device and materials pick up
- Student & Parent Handbook 2022-2023
Below is information for the beginning of the year.
Technology and Hotspots
Parents can sign up to begin picking up devices at our temporary location, Gilespie Park Elementary, 1900 Martin Luther King Jr, Drive, Greensboro, on Monday, August 8th. The sign up link is below. Parents must have an appointment in order to pick up a device.
If students are in need of a hotspot, please let the media specialist, Ms. Sullivan-Brannon know when you come to pick up your device.
Parent & Student Handbook
Here is our parent & student handbook. This handbook outlines who we are, what we are about, as well as parent and student expectations. Please note that all parents and students are expected to read through the handbook and are responsible for the information.
Parent & Student Orientation
All current and new students and parents must attend ONE required orientation session. You have the option of attending virtually or in person. During orientation, parents and students will learn about virtual learning expectations and important tools to help students to be successful in the virtual learning environment. To sign up for a time, please click the link below.
After parents and students have completed orientation, you will be asked to review our eLearner Agreement and sign it to indicate you will agree to partner with us to ensure the success of your eLearner.
Courses & Instruction
Through the eLearning experience, eLearners will receive a full range of support, such as 1:1 personalized instruction, small group opportunities with peers, participation in whole group activities, and/or access to on-demand lessons.
Guilford eLearning University Prep follows the North Carolina State Standards for all core and encore subject areas.
- All of our courses are taught by highly qualified eTeachers who are certified and trained to deliver engaging instruction online.
- eTeachers will also inspire students to positively contribute to and responsibly participate in the digital world in a safe virtual environment by participating in virtual social activities, clubs, mentorships, field trips, and events to celebrate and recognize eLearner achievements.
- We offer all elementary and middle school core courses and various digital tools to enhance learning while also offering advanced-level courses.
- Download full Course Offerings PDF.
Online engagement time:
- Expect on average four to six hours per day and 20-30 hours per week.
- Built-in flexibility for pacing and learning to move faster or slower.
- eLearners can track their own eLearning progress towards their goals with constant feedback to ensure completion by the end of the school year.
Our instructional day begins at 8:30 AM and ends at 3:30 PM. Students are expected to attend all instructional classes each day. We have built two intervention/ enrichment/acceleration blocks, called Rise 'UP', each day for students to receive personalized instruction based on individual student needs.
Morning 'UP'dates is a time for students and parents to receive important announcements and updates from their teacher.
Office Hours is a time teachers set aside to talk briefly with students or parents to address any questions or concerns.
Here is a sample K-5 Schedule (please note this is just a sample schedule, class times will vary across grade levels).
Here is a sample 6-8 Schedule (please note this is just a sample schedule, class times will vary across grade levels).
Beginning Monday, August 29, eLearners will login to Canvas daily to begin receiving instruction.
- To login to Canvas, eLearners will need their student ID # (which is their student lunch #) and password. Please contact the school if you do not know your child’s lunch #.
- eLearners will have synchronous (or live) lessons daily via MS Teams with assignments to complete.
- eLearners will submit assignments to teachers via Canvas for grading.
- eLearners are required to attend all live classes daily and attendance will be closely monitored by classroom teachers and administration.
Teachers will contact eLearners daily through phone calls, messages, and/or virtual small group sessions.
eLearning Supports for Parents
Virtual learning can be a time of transition for most families. To support you in this journey as an “ elearning coach,” we encourage you to visit our school website, and click the "virtual learning" tab to access a wide variety of resources, including webinars, guides, and websites.
Application for Free & Reduced Meals
Although we are a virtual school and most students do not eat school lunch, we still ask that you complete a lunch application to help bring in necessary financial resources to our school.
- Complete application at lunchapplication.com
- This application can be completed by any parent/guardian of an eLearner in a Guilford County School at any point during the school year.
- All families at all schools are encouraged to complete this application as approval may qualify a family for additional benefits during the global pandemic.
Let’s Stay in Touch
My staff and I look forward to getting to know you and your child. To get the most updated information, I encourage you to visit our many communication channels.
- Website: gcsnc.com/universityprep
- GCS Back to School
- Facebook: @geuniversityprep
- Twitter: @guniversityprep
- Instagram: @geuniversityprep
Thank you for choosing University Prep. This is going to be a great year! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions.
Mrs. Tanicka Robeson, ePrincipal