GeUP Announcements Week of October 2
Greetings Parents and Students,
Updates and Announcements for the Week of October 2nd:
1st Quarter Progress Reports
On Wednesday, October 4th, parents will receive their student’s first quarter progress report via document delivery to the email address we have in PowerSchool. Parents, we strongly encourage you to sign up for Canvas Observer and Powerschool Parent Portal to stay connected with your student’s progress for assignments and grades. To set up your parents' accounts, please click here: Instructions on Parent Portal Account, Instructions on Canvas Observer Account
Virtual Student Clubs & Organizations Starts October 11th
We want to encourage all students to become involved in a Virtual Club or Organization. The clubs and organizations allow students to connect with one another and establish healthy relationships. To view the list of clubs and to sign up, students may click the link below to get started!
Congratulations to our New PTA Officers
We would like to congratulate our new PTA Officers
President – Kristen Sipe
Vice President – Celena Ford
Secretary – Emily Currie
Treasurer – Misty Knight
If you would like to join the GeUP PTA, membership dues are $10. You may send your due via cash app to $GeUPSun or mail a money order to the school office at 1305-A Merritt Drive, Greensboro, NC 27407 c/o GeUP PTA. If you have any questions, you may email the President, Ms. Kristen Sipe, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay tuned for the next general meeting date and time.
- This is a gentle reminder for parents to please refrain from disrupting the virtual classroom environment while teaching and learning is taking place. If a parent has questions for the teacher, please wait until the end of class, once all students have left or contact the teacher directly via email, phone, or Class Dojo. Please allow teachers up to 24 hours to respond to all messages. If a parent tries to disrupt the classroom, teachers will mute the parent and advise them to contact them once class is over or to send a message.
- Also, please maintain an open line of communication (phone and email) with teachers and communicate any concerns or questions to the teacher first. If the teacher is unable to address your concerns, Ms. Robeson, the principal, is happy to assist.
- Lastly, parents, please allow your students to have "academic struggle" while in classes and when completing their work, to ensure that students have the opportunity for growth.
K-8th Grades NWEA Assessment
University Prep students will have the opportunity to take a MAP® Growth™ test from NWEA® (reading and math) in person at our school located at 1305-A Merritt Drive, Greensboro, NC, Wednesday, September 20, 2023 – Wednesday, October 11, 2023. The MAP Growth scores help teachers check student performance by measuring achievement and growth. Teachers use results from this assessment to adjust classroom lessons and instruction as well as to set goals for students.
- 6th Grade (Tuesday, October 3 & Wednesday, October 4)
- 7th Grade (Thursday, October 5 & Friday, October 6)
- 8th Grade (Tuesday, October 10 & Wednesday, October 11)
Test Day Logistics:
- The testing day will be from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. All students must no later than 8:15 am. Testing will start promptly at 8:30 am.
- Students should be dropped off at GeUP School Building located at 1305-A Merritt Drive, Greensboro, NC, BEHIND Hunter Elementary in the drop off lane. Look for GeUP signs, beginning at 8:00 AM and no later than 8:15 AM. Parents should remain in the car when dropping off students. Dismissal will begin at 12:00 p.m. Parents should remain in the car in the pick-up lane, when picking up students.
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided for each testing day. Students may also bring their own breakfast and lunch. Students will eat in their respective testing classrooms.
- Students may also bring a water bottle but they are not allowed to drink during testing.
- Students will be given breaks during testing.
- Students will not be allowed to leave the campus for lunch or breaks.
- Please remember to bring your GCS iPad/Chromebook & charger.
- devices are prohibited. Cellphones must be completely turned off and stored in a bookbag or purse.
- Students must adhere to the Guilford County Schools dress code. Pajamas are not allowed.
- Some students may finish testing early and are allowed to read a book or other reading material.
- Students are NOT allowed to leave until the testing session ended for the day at 12 p.m.
Medical Exception from In-Person Testing
Students who have a medical condition, documented by a licensed medical professional, may be eligible to apply for exception from in-person testing. Parents will be asked to submit the required documentation for students to be approved. The school does not determine eligibility. Your application will be submitted to the NC Department of Public Instruction to determine eligibility. If you believe your student is eligible for a medical exception, you may submit it here:
Student/Parent Handbook 2023-2024
Please take a moment to review our student/parent handbook that has been updated for the 2023-204 school year. It includes our updated attendance policy and expectations.
Let’s Stay in Touch
The staff and I look forward to getting to know you and your child. To get the most updated information, I encourage you to visit our many communication channels.
Office Phone: 336-522-6330
Office Hours: 8:30 AM – 4PM
School Address: 1305-A Merritt Drive, Greensboro, NC 27407 (we are located in the rear of Hunter Elementary)