5th Grade News
October 3 – Interim Reports
October 6 – Movie Night 6pm
October 12 – Student-led Conferences 3-5pm
October 19 – Hispanic Heritage Night 4-6pm
October 26 – Curriculum Night 5:50-7pm
October 27 – Fall Pictures
Here are some important announcements/reminders:
- October 12 is Student-Led Parent Conference Day. Parents are encouraged to stop by with their child between 3 and 5pm. Students will be prepared to walk you through their progress and goals so far in 5th grade. Teachers will be available for questions. Forms will be sent home for completion for those unable to attend.
- Please remember to view and sign your child’s weekly conduct grade every Friday afternoon. This is a great way to stay on top of behaviors that distract your child and others from doing their best learning!
- Students are encouraged to bring a water bottle to school each day. Please ensure these are filled only with water. Other liquids are sticky when spilled and attracted unwanted critters!
- Please make sure your child arrives at school before 7:25 each day. This gives them time to unpack, eat breakfast and complete morning work before math and reading blocks begin. Students that arrive after 7:25 will have to ring the front door of the school and go to the office to check in before going to their classroom.
- Stay connected with teachers and be aware of your child’s school activities by connecting to ClassDojo and checking it regularly.
- Please remember to send in a written note with your child when he/she is absent. The note must be turned in within 3 days of their return. We can’t accept notes through Class Dojo.
- PowerSchool Parent Portal is a great tool for keeping track of your child’s grades. Students may also check their grades using PowerSchool Student. Grades will be updated weekly.
- Pride Pack weekly folders will go home with your child on Tuesdays. Your child can fix any work that is in their folder to improve their grades. Any work corrections must be turned in by Thursday of that week. They may correct each assignment one time to improve their grade.
Reading- This year we are challenging all students to read 50 books! Encourage your child to read at home every evening. This week we will continue our second Reading Unit. We are studying the Early American Civilizations of the Americas. Our focus will be on finding the main idea and summarizing.
Math- Students will learn about the relationship between fractions and division and use models to solve word problems. Please make sure your child practices their multiplication and division facts. These facts will help them be successful this year in math. They can use flash cards, apps, or any other strategy.
Science- Students will be learning about the effects of heat on matter.
Social Studies- Students will continue a history unit on Native Americans.