- What We Do
- Meet the Team
- Back to School 2022
- News Media
- Public Records Requests
- Get the GCS App!
- Get Involved: Volunteer or Partner
- Employee of the Month
- Internal Key Communicators
- Ignite Magazine
- GCS Branding and Communications Standards
- News Archives: 2010-2017
Board Accepting Nominations to Fill District 1 Vacancy
The Guilford County Board of Education is now accepting nominations to fill the vacant District 1 seat.
The seat was previously held by Christopher Gillespie who resigned after learning his home address is not within the District 1 boundaries. Only citizens who live within District 1 are eligible to represent that district on the school board. The newly selected District 1 board member will serve the remainder of the term which expires in Dec. 2016.
Nominations are due by 5 p.m. on April 29. In May, the board will hold three meetings to interview candidates, select one and swear in the selected representative.
The board also updated the policy to require an official from the Guilford County Board of Elections sign a letter verifying the nominee lives in the district. Previously, candidates were asked to verify their electoral districts with the Guilford County Board of Elections, and include a personal statement to that effect in their application to the school board.
District 1, includes the following precincts: G64, H03, H05, H06, H07, H08, H09, H10, H11, H17, H18, H19A, H19B, H28, H29A, H29B. To view the Guilford County Board of Elections school district map, click here.
Candidates or those who nominate them should assemble a packet of information that includes at least the following:
1) The name, address and (optional) phone number of the nominee
2) A statement that the nominee has inquired and lives in District 1 and a place for the signature of a representative from the Guilford County Board of Elections, verifying that they are in District 1
3) A brief biography of the nominee, including relevant education and / or board experience
4) A statement by the nominee as to why the nominee would like to serve
5) The signature of the nominee, indicating a willingness to serve if selected.
The packets should be sent to the following address by 5 p.m. on April 29, 2015:
Jill R. Wilson
230 North Elm Street, Suite 2000
Greensboro, NC 27401
Packets may be hand-delivered to the 19th floor receptionist OR mailed to the above address. It is recommended that packets sent by mail should include tracking to ensure timely receipt. In order to be considered, nominations must be RECEIVED by 5 p.m. on April 29, 2015, NOT postmarked by that time.