- What We Do
- Meet the Team
- Back to School 2022
- News Media
- Public Records Requests
- Get the GCS App!
- Get Involved: Volunteer or Partner
- Employee of the Month
- Internal Key Communicators
- Ignite Magazine
- GCS Branding and Communications Standards
- News Archives: 2010-2017
Public Invited to Discuss Board of Education Vacancy
The Guilford County Board of Education will hold a public forum to discuss the vacancy in District 1 at 7 p.m. Dec. 3 at Andrews High School. Board members hope to learn what skills, background and experience the public feels are most important in a new District 1 Board member.
That seat is currently held by Board Member Carlvena Foster, who won election to the Guilford County Board of Commissioners District 1 seat on Nov. 4. The Board of Education seat will be open effective Dec. 1; the newly selected District 1 Board member will serve the remainder of Foster’s term, which expires in Dec. 2016.
Guilford County parents, staff, students and members of the community can also talk about it online with EngageGCS. That’s a new website that provides a place to communicate and collaborate with educational leaders and other residents on the future of education in Guilford County.
Nominations are due by 5 p.m. on Dec. 1. The Board will hold specially called meetings on Dec. 8 and 10 to interview nominees and select the new District 1 Board member, who will be sworn in at the Dec. 18 Board of Education meeting.
Those interested in filling the seat must confirm they are residents of District 1, which includes the following precincts: G64, H03, H05, H06, H07, H08, H09, H10, H11, H17, H18, H19A, H19B, H28, H29A, H29B.
Candidates or those who nominate them should assemble a packet of information that includes at least the following:
- The name, street address and (optional) phone number and email address of the nominee;
- A statement that the nominee has checked with the Guilford County Board of Elections and confirmed s/he lives in District 1;
- A brief biography of the nominee, including relevant education and/or board experience;
- A statement by the nominee as to why s/he would like to serve; and
- The signature of the nominee, indicating a willingness to serve if selected.
The packets should be sent to the following address by 5 p.m. on Dec. 1, 2014:
Jill R. Wilson
230 North Elm Street, Suite 2000
Greensboro, NC 27401
Packets may be hand-delivered to the 19th floor receptionist OR mailed to the above address. It is recommended that packets sent by mail should include tracking to ensure timely receipt. In order to be considered, nominations must be RECEIVED by 5 p.m. on Dec. 1, 2014, NOT postmarked by that time.