- What We Do
- Meet the Team
- Back to School 2022
- News Media
- Public Records Requests
- Get the GCS App!
- Get Involved: Volunteer or Partner
- Employee of the Month
- Internal Key Communicators
- Ignite Magazine
- GCS Branding and Communications Standards
- News Archives: 2010-2017
GCS Receives National Awards for Communication
Guilford County Schools (GCS) was recently recognized among school districts nationwide for effective communications by the National School Public Relations Association (NSPRA).
GCS received 20 national school communication awards. Ten awards recognized excellence in publications and electronic media. The other 10 citations are Golden Achievement awards, which recognize exemplary work in public relations. The awards were presented at the organization’s annual conference in Baltimore, Md.
Nora Carr, GCS’ chief of staff, has served as president of NSPRA for the last year. During the conference’s final event, Carr was recognized by NSPRA Executive Director Rich Bagin for her dedication. She handed over the president position, although she will continue to officially serve in the position until Sept. 30.
Carr, who holds her Accreditation in Public Relations (APR), joined GCS in 2008. A sought-after speaker and public relations strategist, Carr has assisted school systems, educational associations, nonprofits and businesses in 25 states. She also serves as a contributing editor on communications for the American School Board Journal and as a columnist on community and stakeholder relations for eSchool News. In 2010, Carr received NSPRA’s highest honor, the Presidents Award.
The 10 publication awards won by GCS are:
- 2013 Annual Report: We Rise (Award of Excellence)
Excellence in Writing
- Storm Damage: Lessons in Crisis Communications from Moore, Oklahoma (Award of Excellence)
- What Parents Want (Award of Merit)
- Twitter Allows School District to 'Lighten Up' in Communicating with Students (Award of Merit)
- 2014 Magnet Fair (Award of Merit)
- New Twitter Approach Sparks Students' Creativity (Honorable Mention)
Special Purpose Publication
- GSC Strategic Plan 2016: Personalizing Learning (Award of Merit)
- Tdap - Check it off the list (Honorable Mention)
- Soldier Surprises Kids (Honorable Mention)
- We Rise (Honorable Mention)
Golden Achievement Awards
- School Marketing Academy
- STEM Early College at N.C. A&T Benefactor Breakfast
- Amateur Radio on the International Space Station
- 2014 State of Our Schools
- 2013 Celebration of Excellence
- 2013 Cool to Serve
- Roadmap 2 Reading/Read 2 Succeed Literacy Partnership
- Character, Civics and Service – Transforming a District Through Character Development
- Thank a Teacher
- From Boys to Men: Parents Helping their African-American Sons Achieve Education Excellence
A panel of journalism and communication experts judged the entries on appropriateness of message, graphic layout/design, overall appearance, writing/content and effectiveness in reaching goal. Electronic media entries are judged on professional quality and presentation of message, including sound for radio and color/motion for video.
Click here to view the full list of awards and recipients.